8 Ways to Prevent Premature Aging of Your Skin
Your skin is an amazing thing! It is the largest organ on your body, it protects you and it can often take a real beating from the elements and life’s daily hustle.
Even if you don’t cause stress to your skin, it will eventually show signs of aging. But just because your skin will age eventually doesn’t mean you have to help it along the path. In fact, you should do the opposite and strive to protect it, keep it healthy and youthful for as long as you can.
That is why we want to share 8 ways you can prevent premature aging of your skin.
- Avoid too much sun exposure: It is well known that overexposure to the sun will damage your skin. Whether you’re planning to spend the day at the beach or pool or are going out for a hike, you should take care to protect your skin from the sun’s harmful UV rays. Use sunblock with SPF 40 or higher, wear clothing that covers your skin or stick to the shade as much as possible.
- Cleanse and Moisturize daily: Gently cleanse your skin with soap that doesn’t sting or burn and water. Keep in mind that your face needs extra care, so wash it twice a day and again after sweating heavily. Further, you should apply moisturizer to trap water into your skin, giving it a more youthful look.
- Drink less alcohol and quit smoking: Alcohol is rough on the skin. It dehydrates the skin, and in time, damages it making us look older. Smoking greatly speeds up how quickly skin ages. It causes wrinkles and a dull, sallow complexion.
- Eat a healthy and well balanced diet: Findings from a few studies suggest that eating plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables may help prevent damage that leads to premature skin aging. They also suggest that a diet containing lots of sugar or other refined carbohydrates can accelerate aging.
- Stay hydrated: Drinking water is essential for good health. Your body needs water for almost every function it does. Besides vital functions like flushing toxins from your body. Aiding with digestion, and regulating your body temperature, water can also help keep your skin healthy and hydrated from the inside
- Relax your face: Repeated facial movements like squirting, frowning, or pursing of the lips can speed up the formation of wrinkles. If you find yourself squinting frequently, it may be a sign that you need to get your eyes checked or that you need a stronger prescription for your glasses. If you find yourself frowning or scowling often, you may want to look into ways to relieve your stress. Making facial expressions causes the muscles in your face to contract, eventually causing lines to form when done repeatedly over a period of many years.
- Self tan instead of Sun tan: Apply self tanning products instead of laying out in the sun or in a tanning bed. You will get the same look without the premature aging and increased risk of melonom